I’ve decided to post a quick thoughts on what is, thus far, the topic of the year.
- Osama bin Laden is dead, and everyone is understandably in celebration mode. I am too. I would have personally preferred that he be taken alive to stand trial in the United States, but I’ll take this result over his escape 100% of the time. Untold thousands of family members of those lost on September 11, 2001 are resting easier today.
- President Obama was incredibly gracious in calling President Bush before addressing the media. He understood that it was President Bush’s mission for 7 years, and he deserved the courtesy of hearing that bin Laden had been eliminated from the sitting commander-in-chief. Classy move, Mr. President.
- I did not personally vote for President Obama (though I wasn’t happy with his contender, either), but our president does deserve a good amount of credit for being briefed repeatedly on the details of the mission, and giving the ultimate authorization to carry it out. It was accompanied by some serious risks, and he showed dedication to the fight against terrorism in his approval. If you don’t believe it, read this 3-page Politico article in its entirety. Are we really so concerned with political advantage that we would prefer to let the figurehead of Jihad go untouched than for a member of an opposing political party to receive a bit of credit?
- Navy SEALs are awesome. Our military is filled with people of incredible skill, character, and determination, and this mission reminded us of such. No Americans were lost in the raid, despite losing a chopper. I’ve read several books on America’s elite special forces units, and this only serves to heighten my admiration for them. Good job, boys! We’re proud of you all.
- The fight against radical Islamic Jihad will continue. bin Laden was indeed an important figure among them, but there are literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions, more willing to fight against Western civilization in the name of Islam. A reminder of their twisted worldview actually took place during their raid: one woman was killed because she was being used as a human shield by one of the men surrounding bin Laden. There’s still a long battle ahead of us — I just hope we’re willing to finish it.
God bless our troops. God bless our president(s). God bless America.